Re: Specifications - Welding in Seismic Zone

Paul,

It is rather hard to summarize in an e-mail 100 pages of an AWS Specification but below are a few of the items to consider.  Many engineers are surprised to find out that there are NO minimum amounts of NDE required by AWS D1.1 (other than visual inspection by the welder).  As the Engineer you need to specify all NDE requirements.  AISC Prequalified Connnections show many of these NDE requirements.  AWS D1.1 only tells you how to do the test and what is the acceptance criteria but does not state how much, when, or where.  AWS D1.8 has some of the following special requirements which many have been copied in whole or part into the current AISC Seismic Provisions.

Regards,

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Paul Ransom <ad026(--nospam--at)hwcn.org>
06/16/2009 05:09 AM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Specifications - Welding in Seismic Zone

Tom,
This seems to be my week to be inquisitive.

I am not familiar, yet, with the AWS D1.8. However, I believe that the AWS
D1.1 does not provide guidance with respect to testing. Your comment
suggests that there are "extra NDE" requirements in D1.8.

What type of extra NDE does it specify (e.g. when, how)? What is the base
requirement to which this is extra (e.g. code, standard)?

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.