Re: Weather Structural Steel

Bill,

It depends on your application.  Typically ASTM A588 is used for building and industrial applications and ASTM A709 for bridge work.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
06/18/2009 11:23 AM
Please respond to seaint
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: Weather Structural Steel

Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com wrote:

Ken,

I think you are looking at ASTM A588 structural steel shapes which has a minimum yield strength of 50 ksi and a minimum tensile strength of 70 ksi.  I believe it is available but I would first check with your local fabricator and/or mill.

Thomas Hunt

Does any one have more information weather structural steel?  What is the specification tensile strength or grade?  Are they availabe to purchase?
TIA

No, he's talking about ASTM A 709 plus ASTM A 325 Type III bolts.