RE: Flexure vs. Cable Action in a solid rod.

Well, you are, at that point, taking shared liability on for that portion of the structure – this added buffer for the EOR is the whole point of this approach.  The first time I did this was because a building official (in Miami, I think) insisted on it for a calculation on some custom metal roof decking… since then it has become a fairly useful tool on a few other projects.

And while I see you’re point about the “not directly responsible” I don’t know how this differs from being directly contracted as the specialty engineer for just the railing…

From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Flexure vs. Cable Action in a solid rod.

Richard Calvert wrote:

... formally obtain a second opinion (signed and sealed)...

I'm curious about the advisability of "signing and sealing" a second opinion. What exactly are you vouching for there with your seal? What is your scope of responsibility?

I submit that sealing a letter giving your opinion on a design topic where you are not directly responsible for the design, etc., is not wise.

In that case, should engineering professors "sign and seal" their textbooks?