Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Flexure vs. Cable Action in a solid rod.

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
William.Sherman(--nospam--at) wrote:
A PE seal is often required for an engineer's "report" for a specific project in a jurisdiction.  A letter addressing an opinion on a technical issue can constitute a "report".  Nevertheless, this can be a gray area, as an outside consultant may offer advice to the EOR without being registered in that state.  But in this case, a seal would likely provide added incentive for the EOR to accept the outside advice.
The author of a textbook is not addressing a specific project in a specific jurisdiction.

But why would you give an opinion about "a specific problem in a specific jurisdiction?" That makes no sense. Either engineering science is applicable everywhere, or nowhere.

I repeat: I do not think it either necessary or advisable to affix your seal to a letter commenting on a specific application over which you really have no control, if you're the EOR.

And if you're working for the EOR, then YOU are not sealing anything anyway, so why not just ask him what he wants you to do?
******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********