Re: Update: Dallas Cowboys roof Collapse

Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. wrote:
However I recall you saying that Texas does not have a state building code and that the minicipalities outside of the big cities are not allowed to have their own building codes.
CORRECTION: Any municipality in Texas may adopt and enforce a building code, no matter how small. It is the UNINCORPORATED AREAS of Texas that may not do so.

The counties are political subdivisions of the state, and current Texas statute forbids counties from establishing codes and code enforcement. Of course, the vast majority of LAND outside of Texas is in unincorporated areas, although the majority of the state's population does live inside a city or town.

FWIW, my home is in unincorporated Harris County. Just to the east is Houston. Buildings (including residences) there must meet the Code. Just to the west is the small city of Katy, which also has a building code and a code official.