Re: BUILDING CODE: Certificate of Occupancy

I serve on the local Planing Commission & see similar stuff occasionally. If the previous occupant was there without a permit (or with a variance--for parking usually), it's not uncommon to see the new occupant required to submit something. I wouldn't expect the City to be OK with the "owner" assuming responsibility for structural integrity, exiting, max. seating, fire sprinklers, etc. for a room packed full of people. But YMMV
Chuck Utzman

Bill Polhemus wrote:
A member of this list referred a friend of a friend to me for help on this issue.

The client is a church that has set up shop in a small office park space. The previous occupant of the space was also a "storefront church," and they simply moved out, and the new church moved in.

There were no changes made to the interior space by the new tenant.

The city has "red tagged" the space, claiming they need to submit a full set of architectural and engineering drawings for approval in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy in accordance with the City of Houston Building Code (NOTE: CoH BC is based on IBC 2003).

I have still to do a bit of research on this, but I am puzzled as to why the tenant is required to do this, if they did no interior alterations. Wouldn't this fall under the Owner's responsibility?

Comments gratefully appreciated.