From: Tom Skaggs [mailto:tom.skaggs(--nospam--at)apawood.org]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 3:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Design Charts (was RE: Dallas Cowboys roof collapse)

Please clarify this statement?  Do you run span tables for TJIs?  Do you use Simpson catalog for LTP4s?  Do you use AISC Steel manual charts for unbraced wide flanges?

I understand where you are coming from, but being an organization that provides “span charts” for glulams, panels et cetera, it would strike me that SOME use of charts and tables greatly increase your productivity.  I’m also a firm believer in “trust but verify”, but I’d certainly not claim to know more about hanger design than Simpson Strong-Tie.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.

Manager, Product Evaluation

APA