Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: BUILDING CODE: Certificate of Occupancy

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
sscholl2(--nospam--at) wrote:

The previous church may have not had a permit

Usually churches must have additional features that a retail space does not need to have- such as 1 or 2 hour partiition walls and ceiling depending on the floor area. Also a church may be required to have fire sprinklers.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Discount Online Trading - Click Now!

So it sounds like the REAL issue is "this space may not be suitable for this occupancy."

To get down to brass tacks, the City is claiming that the Church requires A3 occupancy, and I'm sure an office doesn't have that.

The ultimate problem is that these churches really can't "live" in these spaces unless they have an architect (or engineer, as is the case in Texas - to the chagrin of our Arch brethren) verify that everything meets the occupancy requirements.

I guess I had assumed that the Owner would be responsible for this, but I can see the other side. However, wouldn't the owner bear some responsibility here? He has to be able to say "look, you're a church, you know...."

The previous occupant was a church, and I think Ownership had changed hands. There lies the rub.
******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********