Re: BUILDING CODE: Certificate of Occupancy

sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com wrote:

The previous church may have not had a permit

Usually churches must have additional features that a retail space does not need to have- such as 1 or 2 hour partiition walls and ceiling depending on the floor area. Also a church may be required to have fire sprinklers.

Stan Scholl, P.E.

Discount Online Trading - Click Now!

So it sounds like the REAL issue is "this space may not be suitable for this occupancy."

To get down to brass tacks, the City is claiming that the Church requires A3 occupancy, and I'm sure an office doesn't have that.

The ultimate problem is that these churches really can't "live" in these spaces unless they have an architect (or engineer, as is the case in Texas - to the chagrin of our Arch brethren) verify that everything meets the occupancy requirements.

I guess I had assumed that the Owner would be responsible for this, but I can see the other side. However, wouldn't the owner bear some responsibility here? He has to be able to say "look, you're a church, you know...."

The previous occupant was a church, and I think Ownership had changed hands. There lies the rub.