But that's just my suspicious mind.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

On Jun 30, 2009, at 9:55 AM, <xmy978(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:

Because that would be a change in occupancy from a B to A2(?). Assembly occupancies are substantially more restrictive in terms of exiting and other
life-safety issues.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:24 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: BUILDING CODE: Certificate of Occupancy

Much easier for a city official to ask for drawings than to get off
their butt and go visit the site to confirm that nothing has changed.
Gary

Bill Polhemus wrote:
A member of this list referred a friend of a friend to me for help on
this issue.

The client is a church that has set up shop in a small office park
space. The previous occupant of the space was also a "storefront
church," and they simply moved out, and the new church moved in.

There were no changes made to the interior space by the new tenant.

The city has "red tagged" the space, claiming they need to submit a
full set of architectural and engineering drawings for approval in
order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy in accordance with the City
of Houston Building Code (NOTE: CoH BC is based on IBC 2003).

I have still to do a bit of research on this, but I am puzzled as to
why the tenant is required to do this, if they did no interior
alterations. Wouldn't this fall under the Owner's responsibility?

Comments gratefully appreciated.

* *   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers *
Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To *   subscribe
(no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you *
send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted *   without
your permission. Make sure you visit our web *   site at: