RE: Bolt to plywood

Yes.  Had to use it for diaphragm connection to primary beams.  I used the bearing and shear-through values for the ply and for bolt bearing used vales I would use for microlam type elements.  I stayed conservative because such thin elements may have boundary effects playing with the real values.  Also bolt heads above the plywood may be an issue if the floor is not concrete-covered.

Victoria, BC
Canada

From: Nick Fanger [mailto:nick(--nospam--at)kishrigging.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bolt to plywood

I hate to disrupt the fun threads with something structural engineering related but I have a question….

How would you go about calculating the shear value of a ½” dia. Thru bolt attaching a steel plate and ¾” plywood?  I’ve never done bolts in plywood before nor do I think it’s that good of an idea but in this case its unavoidable.  Has anyone else dealt with bolts in plywood before?

Nick Fanger, P.E.

Kish Rigging, Inc.

540 Commerce Ave.

Moorpark, CA 93021