To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: Design for snow loads

Did the article happen to mention the name of this, apparently, disreputable
building manufacturer? We all want to avoid them.

I'm also curious as to why the pre-engineered metal building manufacturer
was not included as a member of the "Design/Build team." Sometimes the real
story is more interesting than the sound-bite.

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Ransom, P.Eng.
ph 905 639-9628

From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com>

This came from a recent newsletter from ACEC, Risk Management
Information for Structural Engineers                June 22, 2009

*How it Sometimes Works in Real Life

We designed a project as part of a design/build team. The superstructure
was bid separately as a pre-engineered metal building. *After the
project was completed*, the manufacturer sent a memo to the general
contractor along with a map of locations where deflections should be
measured when it snows. They also included recommendations as to how the
*contractor's engineer* should design temporary shoring to support the
roof when deflections exceed a predetermined value. Unfortunately, the

/Art Johnson,
KPFF Engineers/