From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: 03 July 2009 11:27
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: heavy timber frames

Gordon:

For traditional timber framing (i.e. mortise and tenon/pegged joints) or even "psuedo" traditional timber framing (i.e. made to look like mortise and tenon/pegged joints but actually drift pins and steel knife plate, etc), I will NOT use the timber frame for seismic lateral loads and will only use the timber frame for wind lateral loads in rare occasions.  I will use some other lateral system (typically either stick-built or SIP shearwalls).  While there is certainly some stiffness for a traditional timber frame joint, there really is not solid research or information on how do treat such joints for seismic loading.

The TFEC 1-07 Standard (Timber Framing Standard) kind of does not really directly address the issue.  It merely states:

"4.1 Stand-Alone Timber Frames

Stand-alone timber frames have been shown to have limited stiffness under lateral loads due to

the relatively low stiffness of wood-pegged joints. Hence, the effects of joint stiffness shall be

considered in the structural analysis of stand-alone timber frames to assure that the strength and

serviceability of the structural system are adequate for the intended end use."

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Scott

Adrian, MI