RE: Double Layer Plywood Shear Wall

Seeing as how the nails control in sheathing, and I would guess that you wouldn’t have applied a second layer without first pushing the nail spacing to its minimum… I can’t imagine that two layers of sheathing of the same side of the wall would accomplish anything other than tearing the studs up.

From: ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 3:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Double Layer Plywood Shear Wall

Contractor "forgot" the interior layer of plywood in a shear wall spec'd for sheathing on both sides. Wants to put double layer on the outside since the interior has been finished. I cannot find any restrictions in the Codes,  so I assume this can be done assuming the same requirements for sheathing on two-sides and no reduction in strength. Anything special to watch out for?

TIA

Charles O. Laines, S.E.
LAINES ASSOCIATES, LONG BEACH, CA

Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.