Re: Double Layer Plywood Shear Wall

I'm not sure this would work.  You could put the inner layer on with 8d nails and the outer layer with 10d nails staggered to miss the nails for the inner layer.  I don't this has ever been a tested assembly, so I am not sure you can go this way.  You might want to contact APA.  The other option is to put the sheathing on the inside over the gypsum wall board with 10d nails.  This is allowed under the 2006 IBC, not sure about the CBC.

ENGRLAINES(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Contractor "forgot" the interior layer of plywood in a shear wall spec'd for sheathing on both sides. Wants to put double layer on the outside since the interior has been finished. I cannot find any restrictions in the Codes,  so I assume this can be done assuming the same requirements for sheathing on two-sides and no reduction in strength. Anything special to watch out for?
TIA

Charles O. Laines, S.E.
LAINES ASSOCIATES, LONG BEACH, CA