From: Tom Skaggs [mailto:tom.skaggs(--nospam--at)apawood.org]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 3:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Double Layer Plywood Shear Wall

We did testing on double layered singled sided diaphragms.  Concept was retrofit of existing roof with an overlay of panels.  Attachment on top layer was with 14 gage staples, obviously to avoid splitting.  Results were favorable.  ?Research Report 138? is available at our website, under the publications area.  Note that the edges of the top layer were intentionally staggered off the studs to prevent edge nailing into the framing.  So the 14 gage staples were shot through the ½? ?under? panel.

My take is that, in theory it could work, but splitting of the framing with large nails seems like a very high likelihood.  I generally agree with the other folks who are not real crazy about this ?fix?.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.

Manager, Product Evaluation

APA