RE: crane overturn video

... and most of them didn't seem to concerned either ... just another day in
paradise ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 4:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: crane overturn video

On Jul 13, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:

> I thought most modern cranes had computers and warning systems that
> let you know if you are anywhere near an unsafe load. That is per
> Discovery Channel or TLC, not experience.
Every crane I've ever had anything to do with has an inclinometer to
determine the boom angle and a chart of the allowable load for the
boom angle and extension. Any big lift generally is planned a bit
beforehand so there's an idea of how close the load limit is being
approached. And there's always a lift supervisor who directs the
operator with hand signals or a two-way radio. The operator is
usually too busy running the machine to look out for obstacles and
estimate the path of the load,

I couldn't make out much from the video, but I was surprised at how
many people seemed to be around. Usually you want bystanders kept clear.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/members/chrisw/