Re: Is There Any Application For PRO/ENGINEER?

Bill,

The last time I used Pro/E was about a decade ago. If you know where Revit is now, or where it will be in a year or two more, for structures, that's where Pro/E was for mechanical (part) design a decade ago. I kid you not - AutoDesk _is_ that far behind. Back when I was doing spacecraft and scientific instruments, we'd model each part in 3D, assemble them in the assembly module, each part was committed to a paper version (2D print) which was entirely parametrically/associatively dimensioned - including the ability to add ANSI Y14.5 GDT. We could also export parts to FEM software for 3D meshing and do conductive/convective/radiative analysis for a part or assembly (I think) all within the Pro/E modules. Of course, a full seat (model/draft/assembly/FEM/Thermal/Dynamic) was running about $40k, whereas you can get Revit/FEM/Them software separately for under $20k now, though they won't work together well.

Now, to be honest, I didn't use the FEM portion of Pro/E - I used FEMAP, which was a nice GUI and a semi-customized NASTRAN backed finite element modeler. It was only about $5k a seat (compared to 10k for Pro/Es version), and auto-meshers of reasonable utility were only about 3-4 years old in commercial software, so I did a lot of had coding of input decks for FEM anyway.

I signed up for a student version a couple of years back to see what it was like now, but I got busy and never got to play with it. The email address I used, however, has managed to produce a steady stream of spam emails ever since (I used the <product>@mydomain.com trick, so I know what's been compromised).

Jordan

Bill Polhemus wrote:
I'm not very well acquainted with the PRO/ENGINEER software, having been aware that it is mostly for mechanical design. However, the software's publisher is offering a "student version" for $99 and I'm intrigued.

Is there any reason one of our happy throng would use it? Does it do discrete simulation, for example, or time-history of complex FEM? Anything that would be fun?