RE: Retaining Walls

In the past, I have followed my geotech recommendations and he gave the active and seismic separately and I combined them in the factored load combinations.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Salvador Dorado [mailto:sdorado(--nospam--at)tbengineeringinc.com]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 12:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Retaining Walls

I am designing a 9'-0" tall retaining wall with dead loads and live loads at the top of the stem. There are also seismic earth pressures on the wall. My question is: Does the wall have to be designed with the active earth pressure and the seismic earth pressure acting simultaneously? If so, does the seismic earth pressure need to be categorized as an Earthquake load (E) or a lateral earth pressure load (H) in the ASCE load combinations? Thank you in advance for the help.