Retaining Wall Seismic Loads

We categorized it as an earthquake (E) load.  We had to have about three conversations with the Geotech to make sure he was giving us the suitable load for this.

the E load was an inverted triangular load and the active earth was the usual triangular load distribution.  The geotech kept trying to include his own load factors, and we finally convinced him that we were using Code load factors (in this case NAVFAC load factors).  He still insisted in adding his usual "geotech cya" factor.  Oh well, this was in Long Beach at the confluence of two seismic faults.

Bob

ps:  Sorry for the logo rant - I broke my finger and I'm having a rough time typing with one hand.

R. Garner

Moffatt & Nichol

Tel.:  (619) 220-6050

Fax.: (619) 220-6055