RE: Retaining Wall Seismic Loads

I believe the current CBC requires retaining walls to be designed for seismic load regardless of the height (seismic design category D, E, and F).  Section 1802.2.7 states “… The (soil) investigation shall include

      1. A determination of lateral pressure on basement and retaining walls due to earthquake motions …”

Gautam, SE

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Retaining Wall Seismic Loads

Along the lines of what others have stated here is my experience:

Soils Engineer will give:

1. A restrained and un-restrained retaining wall active pressures
2. A surcharge for seismic loads (either uniform or inverted triangle, or trapezoidal)
3. The un-restrained wall EFP's would be used with the seismic surcharge even if the wall is restrained
4. ASBP and safety factors are adjusted for the short term loads.

Also, this is not required for walls less than 12 feet tall per DSA.

-gm