Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 15:23
Subject: Direct Weld of Single Angle Brace to HSS Beam/Column

I have a client that is requesting the removal of gusset plates and direct welding of the single angle brace to the HSS column and beam.

The situation is a truss with HSS6x4x3/16 chords and HSS3x3x1/4 verticals and L3x3x3/8 tension braces.  For aesthetics they want the angle corner cut and welded directly to the tubes.  Due to the dimensions this means that the angle will be eccentric in the plane of the truss.  To the best of my understanding, the only concern this creates is an out-of-plane bending on the overall truss.  Are there any other concerns that I am missing here?