Excel

Does anybody know, in Excel, how to return the value of a cell containing a dependent variable based on a fixed value of one of its independent variables?

For example, x and y are independent variables, and in some cell I have a formula f(x,y).  However, in another cell I want to return the value for f(x,5) or f(10,y).

Surely there is an easy way to program this?  I’ve tried Excel help and google, but I don’t know what to search for.

Thanks,

Timothy K. Hilton, E.I.

Engineering Intern

LHC STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS