RE: Excel

Excel will not output algebraic formulas, if that is what you’re asking – only values.  I don’t know of any plug-ins to make this possible either, but you might want to look around as it wouldn’t seem that far-fetched that someone would have made one.

There are a lot of open-source math programs that can do what you’re talking about though.

Check out http://freemat.sourceforge.net/

Or

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

are a couple that I’ve had decent experience with.  There are likely others that work on windows…

http://gentoo-portage.com/Search?search=math

has a fairly complete list of linux related math softs – several of which should work on windows on windows as well.  But be careful of what you’re looking at, a lot of whats on this page are programming library’s are word-type editors…

anyways, hope this helps