Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: License

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Yeah, and "I've a feeling that we are not in Kansas anymore"...
V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 08:55
Subject: RE: License

All U.S. Licensing Boards are established and granted their power by the State Legislature, therefore whatever they do or require you to do to get your PE or SE, as long as they stay within the legislated guidelines, is ?legal?.


I am even aware of a case taken all the way to the State Supreme Court by an applicant for a situation similar to yours in which the Justices refused to rule or give an opinion because they considered doing such a violation of the separation of powers.


?in other words, ?Oz has spoken?


D. Matthew Stuart, P.E. S.E., F.ASCE, SECB

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department


Engineers and Consultants - CMX

200 Route 9

Manalapan, NJ 07726

732-577-9000 (Ext. 308)

908-309-8657 (Cell)

732-298-9441 (Fax)



From: SGE Structural [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: License


Good morning,


Yesterday I was informed by an official with the licensing board of the State of Utah that this state does not accept the reciprocity applications from engineers who did not take the NCEES exams (for example, the CA SE exams are not accepted since 2004).  In other words, to become licensed as a Civil or Structural engineer in Utah, a person like me has to take the examinations again.


I am wondering - what would be the underlying wisdom for such decision?  Can it possibly be legal?


V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA