Re: Direct Weld of Single Angle Brace to HSS Beam/Column

If aesthetics is a concern why not go to a HSS web?  Angles are not that
pretty in many people's opinion though they are cheap.  There are a lot
of design references out there on welding HSS trusses with no gusset
plates with all HSS web and chord.  The old AISC HSS manual is a good
starting place and one of its reference/source documents is a book
called Hollow Structural Sections Connections and Trusses by Packer and
Henderson and published by the Canadian institute of Steel construction.
It is an excellent resource and has many design examples and charts with
referenced research; I am not sure if it addresses the exact connection
you are proposing but it might.  Definitely it has more information than
any other book I know of on the subject of HSS steel connections.

I am not sure if the old AISC HSS connection manual is still codified or
not under IBC 2006.  I don't think the information in there is provided
in the AISC 13th edition but I really am not sure.  Anyone know?

Donny Harris, SE
California