RE: Excel

The Goal Seek function (under Tools) may be what you’re looking for.  Select the cell with the formula in it, click goal seek, set the new value of your function, and set which independent variable is to be changed.  The value independent variable will be adjusted.

From: Timothy Hilton [mailto:thilton(--nospam--at)lhcengineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Excel

Does anybody know, in Excel, how to return the value of a cell containing a dependent variable based on a fixed value of one of its independent variables?

For example, x and y are independent variables, and in some cell I have a formula f(x,y).  However, in another cell I want to return the value for f(x,5) or f(10,y).

Surely there is an easy way to program this?  I’ve tried Excel help and google, but I don’t know what to search for.

Thanks,

Timothy K. Hilton, E.I.

Engineering Intern

LHC STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS