Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: License

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
And that is the prerogative of Utah, which is a sovereign state. CA, otoh, gets to keep a ten-year-old building code, if it wants. And Texas can have no Code at all.

I don't agree with everything my state does, but its sovereignty is not negotiable.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

On Jul 22, 2009, at 12:33 PM, "SGE Structural" <sgordin(--nospam--at)> wrote:

CA way of doing thinks (as weird as it is) has nothing to do with it.  For example, if you personally did not take the NCEES exam, you will not get your license in Utah, where you are apparently planning to go. At least, without taking the exam...
V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:23
Subject: Re: License

Every state sets it's own standards and doesn't have to grant comity (although of course other states can "retaliate").

Up until about 20 years ago Texas' standards were considered "too lax" by some states who would not accept the Texas P.E. as acceptable for reciprocity.

If CA continues to insist on administering a nonstandard exam, this is one likely consequence.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:26 AM, "SGE Structural" <sgordin(--nospam--at)> wrote:

Good morning,
Yesterday I was informed by an official with the licensing board of the State of Utah that this state does not accept the reciprocity applications from engineers who did not take the NCEES exams (for example, the CA SE exams are not accepted since 2004).  In other words, to become licensed as a Civil or Structural engineer in Utah, a person like me has to take the examinations again.
I am wondering - what would be the underlying wisdom for such decision?  Can it possibly be legal?
V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA