Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: License

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Re: License

I assume you are applying for a Utah SE license.  If so, then my guess is that your problem is that you have never taken and passed the NCEES Struct I and Struct II exams.  If you had to take an NCEES exam to get your PE license in CA (you might have been able to get due with comity from a license from your previous country), it was likely the NCEES Civil PE exam.  If so, then it does not surprise me that they are requiring to take the exam as CA required the Western States exam for their SE license up until recently.  You would have the exact same problem in Illinois.

If you are going for the SE license in Utah, you might want to verify that you really need it as opposed to just a PE license.  I have not kept as up to speed, but for a long time (and maybe still the case), Illinois was the only state to have a true practice act for their SE license (i.e. you needed an SE license to do ANY structural engineering...CA’s SE is technically a title act only...the only teeth it gains is due to the Department of the State Architect requiring SEs for schools and hospitals and some local jurisdictions for buildings over a certain height as I understand it...most structural work in CA can be done by a PE...they just cannot legally call themselves a Structural Engineer).  It is possible that Utah’s SE license is basically only a title act license and a PE license might be enough...but then, I have never really looked into Utah.  If that is the case (i.e. a PE license is enough), then you could be good if you took the PE exam for CA...or at worst, it would only be a single 8 hour NCEES PE exam (which potentially could be either the Civil or Struct I, but they might require the Civil) rather than the 16 hours of the Struct I and Struct II.


Adrian, MI

On 7/22/09 11:26 AM, "SGE Structural" <sgordin(--nospam--at)> wrote:

Good morning,

Yesterday I was informed by an official with the licensing board of the State of Utah that this state does not accept the reciprocity applications from engineers who did not take the NCEES exams (for example, the CA SE exams are not accepted since 2004).  In other words, to become licensed as a Civil or Structural engineer in Utah, a person like me has to take the examinations again.

I am wondering - what would be the underlying wisdom for such decision?  Can it possibly be legal?

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA