RE: Steel Framing - Aerobic vibration criterion

Thanks Steve

________________________________

From: SGE Structural [mailto:sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Thu 7/23/2009 6:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Steel Framing - Aerobic vibration criterion

Matthew,

Design Guide 11 has an example proving he vibration inadequacy of about the same structure.  The example concludes that the most effective way is to achieve the required rigidity is to put columns at the girder mid-spans.

Although this appears to be the best way, I would still recommend to try to get a consultation from Dr. Thomas Murray.  He is very responsive and, of course, would provide the best advice on the vibration issues.

V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA