RE: Welding Base Plate to Grade 8 Bolt

SAE J-429 Grade 8 bolts are generally fabricated from AISI 4140 alloy steel.  The carbon equivalents are generally in the weldable range.  The problem encountered with welding is that the bolts are a quenched and tempered material.  The quenching and tempering are used to achieve the desired high strength mechanical properties.  Weldability is not the direct issue.  Grade 8 bolts can be welded, but there is a very high risk of effecting the quenching and tempering properties of the alloy.  Heating the bolts (as with welding) without a controlled heating and quenching process adversely effects the alloy.

This has a lot of good information.
http://www.welding-advisers.com/Welding-alloy-steel.html

Regards, Harold Sprague