RE: License

Title: Re: License
I got my Illinois SE through NCEES records process - no problem.  However, unlike CA, they do have Continuing Ed requirements.
Al

From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 1:51 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: License

Every state has every right to question your qualifications...even if it is more or less a “formality”.  The fact that you might find it laughable will not help you get your license in another state.

FWIW, you should have little trouble getting your PE license in TX due to comity from your CA PE license.  The only potential hurdle is that CA only requires 2 years of experience to get you PE license, while TX (and every other state to my knowledge) likely requires 4 years.  So, it would come down to how TX “counts” that 4 years...is it 4 years before you can apply (in which case, you would be fine as you certainly have more than 4 years experience since you have your CA SE...2 years to the PE and then 3 more years to the SE...total at least 5 years)?  Or 4 years before you can sit to take the test?  If it is the later, they could deem that you sat too early for the exam under their rules, even though it was perfectly “legal” in CA, and thus they could potentially make you take it again (and yes, it would be asinine and stupid of them to require it, but does not change the fact that you would still have to retake it if they so decided).  I kind of doubt it, but I do not know for sure.

They likely could care less that you have a CA SE license, even if it means that you passed a much harder exam than any of the NCEES PE exams (which I am pretty sure they use).  And they could care less that you might find it laughable that they might not care about your “superior” CA SE license.  It is their right to choose whatever requirements that they like.  So, the reality is that your definitely harder to achieve CA SE gets you squat in most states, but your CA PE license will basically get you comity/reciprocity (and I am pretty sure that until CA went to using the Struct I and Struct II exam, it was entirely possible that NEITHER got you squat in Illinois...but I am not completely sure on the CA SE license and comity with Illinois...I know that your CA PE license will get you an Illinois PE license, which is essentially meaningless if you want to practice structural engineering in IL, but NOT an IL SE license).  And yes, it is HIGHLY ironic that the easier to get license is what gets you comity with most states, but the tougher to get license will likely not get you anything in most states.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI