Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: License

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
IIRC, Texas has no SE license. It's a PE license. Which I understand you can take by passing the NCEES Struct I exam?

IF so, I believe I already passed that exam since it was during the first day of the California SE exam.

It's very laughable, and of course I realize that won't help me get the license.


On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)> wrote:
Every state has every right to question your qualifications...even if it is more or less a “formality”.  The fact that you might find it laughable will not help you get your license in another state.

FWIW, you should have little trouble getting your PE license in TX due to comity from your CA PE license.  The only potential hurdle is that CA only requires 2 years of experience to get you PE license, while TX (and every other state to my knowledge) likely requires 4 years.  So, it would come down to how TX “counts” that 4 it 4 years before you can apply (in which case, you would be fine as you certainly have more than 4 years experience since you have your CA SE...2 years to the PE and then 3 more years to the at least 5 years)?  Or 4 years before you can sit to take the test?  If it is the later, they could deem that you sat too early for the exam under their rules, even though it was perfectly “legal” in CA, and thus they could potentially make you take it again (and yes, it would be asinine and stupid of them to require it, but does not change the fact that you would still have to retake it if they so decided).  I kind of doubt it, but I do not know for sure.

They likely could care less that you have a CA SE license, even if it means that you passed a much harder exam than any of the NCEES PE exams (which I am pretty sure they use).  And they could care less that you might find it laughable that they might not care about your “superior” CA SE license.  It is their right to choose whatever requirements that they like.  So, the reality is that your definitely harder to achieve CA SE gets you squat in most states, but your CA PE license will basically get you comity/reciprocity (and I am pretty sure that until CA went to using the Struct I and Struct II exam, it was entirely possible that NEITHER got you squat in Illinois...but I am not completely sure on the CA SE license and comity with Illinois...I know that your CA PE license will get you an Illinois PE license, which is essentially meaningless if you want to practice structural engineering in IL, but NOT an IL SE license).  And yes, it is HIGHLY ironic that the easier to get license is what gets you comity with most states, but the tougher to get license will likely not get you anything in most states.


Adrian, MI

On 7/22/09 1:53 PM, "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)> wrote:


Us CA engineers took the same exams you did. We also had to take 2 more tests to get our PE (Surveying and Seismic). Then we had to sit for another 2 day exam (after 3 more years of work) to get our SE license then pay every two years to maintain both licenses.

The fact that Texas could question my qualifications is laughable (A state where apparently you don't even need to stamp drawings for a large facility where a 1 billion dollar professional sports franchise can hold practices), but I wouldn't be surprised in the least that they would make me sit for the exam again.

The California SE exam now has the NCEES Structural I and II exam and I believe the NCEES SE III exam that washington and CA both use.

Next time you talk out of your ass about our "Non-standard" exams, wipe first.


On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)> wrote:
Every state sets it's own standards and doesn't have to grant comity (although of course other states can "retaliate").

Up until about 20 years ago Texas' standards were considered "too lax" by some states who would not accept the Texas P.E. as acceptable for reciprocity.

If CA continues to insist on administering a nonstandard exam, this is one likely consequence.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:26 AM, "SGE Structural" <sgordin(--nospam--at)> wrote:

Good morning,
Yesterday I was informed by an official with the licensing board of the State of Utah that this state does not accept the reciprocity applications from engineers who did not take the NCEES exams (for example, the CA SE exams are not accepted since 2004).  In other words, to become licensed as a Civil or Structural engineer in Utah, a person like me has to take the examinations again.
I am wondering - what would be the underlying wisdom for such decision?  Can it possibly be legal?
V. Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA