RE: License

It has always been my understanding that some of the motivation by certain State Boards to restrict comity licensing and or reciprocity was to limit the number of engineers within the State and thereby prevent to much competition between out-of-state individuals and the locals. The State that I have heard this said the most about at one time was Florida for both Engineers and Dentists. I also heard through the grape vine several years ago that an individual brought a suit against the State of Carolina under the ICC restraint of trade regulations because the SC Board would not grant him comity/reciprocity. As I recall in this case the State of SC required that you be licensed in your State of residency so when the guy tried to get his SC license using a PE from a State other than his home state (where he could not get licensed for whatever reason), they rejected his application.

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department

Associate

Engineers and Consultants - CMX