From: Timothy Hilton [mailto:thilton(--nospam--at)lhcengineers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:59 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FRP Reinforcement

When reinforcing an existing concrete beam with FRP, do we just design for a brittle failure since it doesn’t yield?  I know ACI has a document but I don’t have it and I want to confirm that designing the reinforcing is a matter of simple mechanics, as with normal steel reinforcing.  Is there anything I’m missing?

I just need enough to explain to our client how we want to do it.

Timothy K. Hilton, E.I.

Engineering Intern

LHC STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS

P.O. Box 10567