metal buildings

Title: metal buildings

Hi,

I’ve got a large (100’x140’) pre-fab steel building for an ice rink that I’m doing the foundations for.  It’s basically seven 3-hinged arches, 100 wide.  I just found out that the foundation has to be designed without a slab (which wont be built maybe for years, until the budget allows).  So Ive got ~65 kips of out-thrust at the base of each column, and no opportunity for a hairpin into the slab.  And the budget also does not allow at this time for the strip footing/stemwall to be built between the piers.  So I told the client that hes going to have to connect the base of each arch with a concrete/rebar tie underground, and he flipped out.  This is a non-profit community effort to get covered ice here (which we all want), and the budget doesnt appear to have an extra $50 in it, let alone what it would take to probably account for the foundation forces.

The steel building manufacturer is not interested in trying to resolve the horizontal force higher up; his steel sections will not handle a cable tie at eave level.  Other than an abutment or a tension tie, Im at a loss.  Does anyone have other ideas for how to deal with this?

thanks,

Gordon Goodell

Alta, WY