RE: metal buildings

Gordon,

You could try using a drilled pier to resist the lateral load. See equation 18-1 in the 2006 IBC for an embedment depth formula. 65 kips is a substantial load to be resisted by a hairpin. It would take a lot of frictional resistance from the slab to overcome that amount of force.

I design a lot of electric substations with significant overturning moments and no slab on grade. Drilled piers are almost always used on these projects and are generally pretty economical.

--

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Structural Engineer