Re: Spreadsheets for Cold-Formed Sections?

Conrad,
Thanks. I am going to look into both of these when I can find the time. All of the engineers in this area(Southern Ontario) are busy. I have two customers who are in the storage rack business, and one is quite busy and hence I am also, along with all my other customers. That's is why I want to put everything into Excel, rather than 3 programs(SODA, CFS and Excel). I may be day-dreaming. I also have a thing about US units. Living so close to the border, most of this area(Niagara Peninsula) has clung to Imperial but all our Canadian codes are in metric. Further from the border, the use of metric increases. On the other hand, so much technical help comes from US sources. I end up working in both systems. Frustrating. Another day-dream is that the USA will go metric, and I will also win the lottery to-night.
Gary

Conrad Harrison wrote:
Gary,

I have VBA functions for cold-formed steel design to AS4600, mostly matches
AISI:1996. But I have only setup calculation of section properties for
c-sections and combinations of: nested, back-to-back, boxed.

For other sections we have CFS. There is also CUFSM by Ben Schafer at John
Hopkins University, along with plenty of tutorials and theory.

http://www.ce.jhu.edu/bschafer/cufsm/

Then there are worked examples in Greg Hancocks books on cold-formed steel
design: these are tabulated approaches to calculating section properties, if
you know how you can setup circular references in Excel worksheet and force
iteration to automatically find the solution.

At Excel Calcs there is also a spreadsheet for calculating section
properties of apparently any shape. But I haven't had time to work through
and see what it does, and it uses US units so little value to me.

http://www.excelcalcs.com/

At Exel calcs will find my entire VBA function library: schTechLib.xls.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide