From: "erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net" <erik_g(--nospam--at)cox.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:02:33 AM
Subject: Point load on garage diaphram

Designing a residential garage floor system. Wood framing, Lt-weight concrete over plywood. To design this to code a 3k pt load must be placed on an area 4.5 x 4.5 inches. After designing the joists & beams for this load I now must design the plywood spaning btw'n the joists for the 3k pt load placed at mid-span.

Even at 8" o.c. joist spacing & 1-1/8" Struct I plywood:

Max moment is 6.0 k-in & the allowable bending stress is 1650psi. Based on this I will need 1-5/8" thick plywood.  Am I missing something?

*  Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
*
*  This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*  Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*  subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*
*  http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
*  Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
*  send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*  without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*  site at: http://www.seaint.org