From: Jeremy White [mailto:admin(--nospam--at)structuralae.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete Exposed To Weather (Clear Cover)

The concrete parking deck I am working on will have a wearing course.
Would the slab and beams that support the wearing slab be considered exposed
to weather therefore requiring a 2" clear cover?

The underside of the slab (and beams) is exposed to the effects of
temperature change but will never see rain.  The top side is not exposed to
water because it is protected by the wearing course and a waterproofing
membrane.  So I think 1.5 inches is sufficient.  Is there any consensus on
this issue?

- Jeremy