Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Point load on garage diaphram[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Point load on garage diaphram
- From: "Oshin Tosounian" <oshin(--nospam--at)sdgseinc.com>
- Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:33:00 -0700
I don’t see it as a valid argument for using a load duration factor of 1.25. Cars are left on jacks for months and years. I would treat the 3000 lb load as a floor live load, Cd=1.0.
Whether the 3000 lb is too conservative is another story.
From: SGE Structural
By code, this load is "caused by a jack in for changing tires" (ASCE 7 C4.8.3). Reasonably, that cannot take longer than seven days, hence Cd=1.25 (NDS Table 2.3.2).
V. Steve Gordin, SE
- Prev by Subject: Re: Point load on garage diaphram
- Next by Subject: RE: Point load on garage diaphram
- Previous by thread: Re: Point load on garage diaphram
- Next by thread: RE: Point load on garage diaphram