RE: Building demolition

I'm reminded of a few years back when they decided to take down an
observatory at Northwestern University (there was so much light
pollution from nearby Chicago that it was no longer useful). They
removed members, they tried explosives, they tried pulling it down. They
finally came in with cutting torches and dismantled the entire
structure. Gerry Haijer, who was AISC's vice president of engineering
and research at the time, commented that a lot of people don't take into
account the reserve strength of steel. :-)

On another note, John Cross, AISC's vice president of marketing, once
told me that contractors charge about $3/sq. ft. to take down a concrete
building, it's sometimes free to take down a wood building, and they'll
pay you $3/sq. ft. to take down a steel building. It has nothing to do
with difficulty and everything to do with the value of the scrap. The
concrete remains need to be hauled away and landfilled; the steel gets
shredded and recycled.

But on the third hand, I have to agree with you -- the YouTube videos
are pretty darn cool.

Scott Melnick
Vice President
American Institute of Steel Construction
One East Wacker Dr., Suite 700
Chicago, IL 60601
p. 312.670.8314
c. 312.804.1535