Re: Torsion in Concrete Beam

It is not common...as long as the spans on each side of the beam/girder are
nominally the same and/or there are no major unbalanced loads.

But, if the spans on each side of the beam/girder are significantly
different enough, then it is certainly possible that you could have torsion
on the member such that it requires adjustments for it.

If your are below the threshold torsion, then you need not add any
additional reinforcement for torsion.  If you are above the threshold
torsion, then you would next determine if you can redistribute load per the
code.  If not, then you must add the reinforcement for torsion to what is
required for shear, flexure, and/or axial load that will occur at the same
time & location for the load combinations that produce the torsion.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI