Re: High Fly-Ash in PT slab

Use Slag instead of Fly Ash.

-gm

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Glenn Otto <ggator1256(--nospam--at)cox.net> wrote:

Joe,

Federal Publication EM 1110-2-2000 is at http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-manuals/em1110-2-2000/toc.htm.

It is Concrete for Civil Works and has discussions of fly ash and alkali-silica reactions.  It also helps with strength and permeability (decrease). VDOT loves it for the alkali-silica reaction which causes those fine numerous cracks.

A Structural Engineer, P.C.

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.

Virginia Beach, VA 23454

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Goldbronn [mailto:jgoldbronn(--nospam--at)barrish.com]
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 12:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: High Fly-Ash in PT slab

I have a client that is trying to maximize their “Build-it-Green” points by using high fly-ash in the concrete mix.  They are requesting between 20%-30% fly-ash.  Per the soils engineer we also need to use a slab-on-grade post-tensioned slab.  I have never tried to use high fly-ash on a post-tensioned slab before and am having a hard time finding anyone or any reference that has done so.  Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any good references?

Joe Goldbronn