Re: Off Topic: Economic Recovery -- RWM

My band dedicates Brown Sugar by the Stones to Thomas Jefferson when we play it...most people look at us and go "Huh?" but we had a gig near Stanford the other night and they got the reference...

-g

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM, <Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Glenn!

I appreciate these opportunities to get my mind off my (lack of) work.  Keep it up!

Ralph

In a message dated 8/8/09 7:12:06 PM, ggator1256(--nospam--at)cox.net writes:
Ralph,

Jefferson and Madison owned slaves.  Madison inherited his and wanted them “treated nicely”, to paraphrase.  He sold some when he was in deep debt.  From my understanding, all of the signers of the Declaration paid dearly with life and fortune, including their families, for their stand against tyranny.  Jefferson “really liked” one of his slaves!  Tocqueville was a French historian who studied America.  He helped write a constitution after one of their revolutions.  He was against slavery and tried to get his Frenchman to abolish it.  He was known as an expert on prisons and slavery.  To my knowledge, Reagan never owned any slaves.  J

A Structural Engineer, P.C.
Glenn C. Otto, P.E.
2108 Flowerdew Ct.
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
757-477-2319
Website:  www.astructuralengineeronline.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:26 PM
To: ggator1256(--nospam--at)cox.net; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Off Topic:  Economic Recovery -- RWM

Now that we've heard from the Rich White (slave-owning) Men -- who supposedly had *all* of the answers, I'd like to hear from someone else.  ;)

Ralph

In a message dated 8/8/09 12:51:06 PM, ggator1256(--nospam--at)cox.net writes:

Bill,
We still have not recovered from their mistakes (social security (Roosevelt) and medicare (Johnson))
A few thoughts from some “right-wing extremists”:
"We have long since discovered that nothing lasts longer than a temporary government program."  Ronald Reagan
"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread." --Thomas Jefferson
"If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy." --Thomas Jefferson
"To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it." --Thomas Jefferson
"It really is difficult to imagine how people who have entirely given up managing their own affairs could make a wise choice of those who are to do that for them. One should never expect a liberal, energetic, and wise government to originate in the votes of a people of servants." --French political thinker and historian Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859)
"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself." --James Madison, Federalist No. 51
"[T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." --James Madison