RE: High Fly-Ash in PT slab

Stan,
I would like to know more about the problems you mention.  I have not heard of this before, and would be interested in finding out more.  Ground granulated blast furnace slag use is quite common throughout the US and Europe and is often mixed with portland cement.  It is an effective pozolan.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/materialsgrp/ggbfs.htm
It is commonly used in heavy civil applications like locks and dams to control the heat of hydration.  They get a lot of exposure to water.
Generally ASTM C 989 Grade 80 should be avoided.  Were the cases you site using Grade 80?  I would be interested in the petrographic analysis of the cases where pop outs occured.

Regards, Harold Sprague