RE: High Fly-Ash in PT slab

Stan,
Yes, this does explain the problem.  ASTM C33 allows for the use of blast furnace slag as coarse aggregate.  But it needs to be tested to determine if it is deleterious.  Some of the blast furnace coarse aggregate in the US has been determined to be deleterious as in the case that you site.

However, as Bill pointed out, the origninal reference in this thread is for ground granulated blast-furnace slag and is beneficial when used appropriately as a pozolonic material.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards, Harold Sprague

> From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 16:32:36 -0600
> Subject: RE: High Fly-Ash in PT slab
>
> Thank you for clarifying. The slag we were referring to is "ground granulated blast-furnace slag" (blast-furnace slag that has been finely ground) which is used as a supplementary cementitious material when combined with Portland cement. If the slag was used as coarse aggregate rather than as a ground pozzolan, that is a different story!
>
> Bill Sherman
> CH2M HILL / DEN
> 720-286-2792

Get your vacation photos on your phone! Click here.