From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 8:47 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: A53 pipe substitution for HSS pipe brace

I have a case where a HSS5.00x0.250 round brace was cut 12" too short.  The contractor/fabricator cannot apparently find another piece that is easily available.  The piece is only about 14 feet long and is part of a 2-story X braced bay.  They have asked whether they can use a piece of 5" STD A53 pipe instead.  For the HSS, RyFyAg = 205.2 k.  For the A53, RyFyAg = 292.3k.  I can increase the throat of weld of the brace to the gusset plate, but I'll end up with a non-symmetrical brace configuration.  Any comments or suggestions?