RE: License (Business)  -- GPs

Ralph,

<quote>

I think there's a bit of ego involved here.  On small (e.g., residential) projects the architect may feel he (mostly) knows how to do it, even if he (mostly) doesn't.  Obviously, on large projects he/she doesn't have a choice.

And there's also a matter of cost.  The architect may feel that he/she can save the owner in fees by avoiding an engineer.  He/she may be right, or not...

<end quote>

That I am more inclined to agree with. History put the architect as principle designer, and thus the decision maker. Plus structural mechanics I guess is still perceived as that new fangled stuff: probably been applied to bridges for far longer than applied to buildings. As a consequence its need with respect to buildings is not entirely established throughout the community. So there is also little to no pressure on the architect by the client to obtain services of structural engineer. Now can the structural engineer capture some of these smaller projects away from the architects and become the principle designer?

Regards

Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Adelaide