Re: License (Business)

Gil Brock wrote:
Conrad,

Structural engineers are a new life form, civil engineers and architects can
equally well complete their task without the services of structural
engineers.

You obviously deal with a different species of Architect to those I had to deal with in my younger days when I was designing. And from what I have heard from current practicing structural engineers, the situation has changed but not improved.
Read the book "Light, Wind, and Structure: The Mystery of the Master Builders" by Robert Mark, published 1990 by MIT Press.

It may be out of print, but I found a used copy on Amazon. It was the basis of an episode of NOVA back in the 90s, and explains how the sundering of the role of "Master Builder" - someone who understands and encompasses form and function of buildings and other monumental structures - into "architecture" and "engineering" has led to poor performance (and poorer appearance).

Shouldn't surprise anyone. "Design by committee" has always been problematic. Years ago, to prove the "superiority" of collaborative ventures, the Communist Chinese government commissioned (read: "commanded") a group of composers to work together on a single piece of music which was later premiered by the Beijing symphony.

It would be understating things to report that "reviews were not kind."