Re: License (Business)

Gil Brock wrote:
Conrad,

Structural engineers are a new life form, civil engineers and architects can
equally well complete their task without the services of structural
engineers.

You obviously deal with a different species of Architect to those I had to deal with in my younger days when I was designing. And from what I have heard from current practicing structural engineers, the situation has changed but not improved.
Read the book "Light, Wind, and Structure: The Mystery of the Master Builders" by Robert Mark, Published 1990 by MIT Press.

It chronicles the sundering of "form" from "function" in the design of monumental structures, and shows how "design by committee" has caused a deterioration in both.

It was the basis for an episode of PBS' "Nova" back in the 90s. I know that will make it sacred knowledge to certain on this list.